The COMESA Regional Investment Agency (RIA) is an institution of the Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA) which was launched in 2006 in line with COMESA's ultimate objective to create a fully integrated, internationally competitive and unified regional economic community in which goods, services, capital and persons move freely, for the sustainable economic development of the region. The principal route that was chosen in order to realise this goal is development integration through increased trade and investment.
The objectives set-out in RIA’s Charter are as follows:
- To make COMESA one of the major destinations for regional and international investors while simultaneously enhancing national investment; and
- To carry-out other activities in the area of investment promotion, facilitation and advocacy in conformity with the COMESA Treaty.
Affiliations, Agreements and Partnerships
- COMESA RIA was elected as a member of the Steering Committee of the African Investment Promotion Agency Network (AfrIPANet) in 2008
- MOU with the Islamic Development Bank Corporation – 2009
- MOU with the Jeddah Chamber of Commerce and Industry – 2009
- MOU with Bahrain Chamber of Commerce and Industry – 2009
- MOU with the Sharjah Chamber of Commerce and Industry – 2009
- MOU with the Federation of Arab Chambers of Commerce – 2009
- Partnership Agreement with Dubai Chamber of Commerce and Industry – 2010