Uganda Investment Authority
Uganda Investment Authority (UIA) is a semi-autonomous government agency set up under the Investment Code 1991 mandated to initiate and support measures that enhance investment in Uganda and to advise government on appropriate policies conducive for Investment promotion and growth.
“Uganda the preferred Investment Destination in Africa”
“Promote, attract and retain value adding domestic and foreign direct investments through targeted marketing and aftercare services”
The agency serves to:
- Provide first-hand information on investment opportunities in Uganda
- Issue Investment Licenses and assist in securing other licenses and secondary approvals for investors
- Help investors to implement their project ideas through assistance in locating relevant project support services
- Provide assistance in the acquisition of agricultural and industrial land
- Assist investors in seeking joint venture partners and funding
- Review and make policy recommendations to Government about investment
- Provide support for the development and enhancement of SMEs
The agency has been transformed into a One Stop Centre offering free services where investors can register their businesses and get all relevant licenses related to their business under one roof.
Currently, the core agencies include:
- Uganda Registration Services Bureau (URSB) - company registration
- Uganda Revenue Authority (URA) - taxation issues
- National Environment Management Authority - environmental compliance
- Directorate of Citizenship and Immigration Control - work permits, visas, etc
- Lands Ministry - land ownership verification
- Uganda National Bureau of Standards (UNBS) for standards guidance and certification
Government of Uganda is developing an integrated electronic (on-line) system that will connect all investment relevant agencies, which will cut down on time and money spent to set up business. Currently, potential investors can apply for a license on-line via the UIA website and receive their license for free in 24 hours.
Source: Uganda Investment Authority