Malawi Investment Promotion Agency (MIPA)
The Malawi Investment Promotion Agency (MIPA) is a parastatal organisation established in 1992 through an investment promotion act of parliament of 1991. It is mandated by government to promote, attract, encourage facilitate and support local and foreign investment in Malawi. To achieve this mandate the Agency specifically undertakes the following functions:
- Facilitation of the investment process in Malawi including timely receipt of Government approvals, permits, licenses, registrations.
- Provision courtesy services to investors such as travel itineraries, meetings and site visits
- Provision information relating to investment in Malawi
- Identifying partners in or outside Malawi for joint venture business opportunities in Malawi
- Interacting with local and international financial institutions for the benefit of investors;
- Encouraging expansions and new investments by existing investors in Malawi.
- Developing a favourable investment image of Malawi regionally and outside the region
- Undertaking investment promotion missions within the region and outside the region
- Recommending to the Government changes in the statutory and administrative framework relevant to the investment climate of Malawi and making representations against or regarding any changes to any such statutory or administrative framework
- IConsulting with private sector entities with a view to enabling the Agency to make recommendations to the Government for the improvement of the investment climate of Malawi.
- Issuance of Investment Certificate, that facilitates immediate start of a business .
- Assistance in obtaining any necessary licenses and permits.
- Assisting in obtaining incentives or exemptions under the Income Tax Act, the Customs and Excise Act, the Value Added Tax Act or other legislation
- Providing information to investors on the business climate, operating rules investment opportunities, sources of capital, etc...
- Liaison with other government agencies for the issuance of additional licenses and approvals not directly handled by the Authority.